What to expect when you visit Asbury for the first time:
We have a parking lot in the rear of the church off of Summer Street, a parking lot off of Main Street between our Chapel and the Asbury Child Enrichment Center (ACEC), and street parking off of Main Street and Summer Street. If you need to drop off someone with mobility issues, you can enter the ACEC parking lot and stop in our mezzanine to access the elevator. After dropping the person off, you can exit the mezzanine on to Summer Street to park.
What Should I Wear
- 8:00AM Service in the Chapel: People who attend this service typically wear business/business-casual clothes.
- 10:30AM Traditional Service in the Sanctuary: People who attend this service typically wear business/business-casual clothes.
- 10:40AM Contemporary Service in the Fellowship Hall: People who attend this service typically wear casual clothes. This service is a come-as-you-are space.
Where Do I Enter
- 8:00AM Service in the Chapel: The entrance is located on Main Street.
- 9:15/9:30AM Sunday School: These classes are located on our first and second floors of the Educational Building for adults, under the Chapel for youth, and in the Children's Department (entrance is found in our Prayer Garden) for infants through 5th grade. For more information about classes, click here.
- 10:30AM Traditional Service in the Sanctuary: The main entrance is located on Main Street.
- 10:40AM Contemporary Service in the Fellowship Hall: The main entrance is located near the rear Summer Street parking lot in middle of the building.
What Our Entrances Look Like
What Do the Children Do
Children are welcome in ALL of our worship spaces ALL of the time. We recognize that parents may wish to have their children participate in a space created just for children. Nursery care is provided during Sunday School and the 10:30 & 10:40 Worship Services for birth through 3-year-old children. Sunday School takes place from 9:30-10:30AM. At the 10:30AM Traditional Service, the children come forward for the Children's Message. They then travel down to the 10:40AM Contemporary Service for the Children's Message. Following the second Children's Message, they return to the Children's Department for Children's Church. Children's Church is for 4-year-old through 5th grade children. Parents should pick up their children following worship in the Children's Department. For the safety of your children, staff and volunteers of Asbury UMC will be wearing nametags with the UMC cross & flame logo on them.
We partake of communion on the first Sunday of every month. Children ages 4 years and over worship with their families on Communion Sunday. We celebrate at an open table. ALL who wish to be in a relationship with Jesus Christ is welcome at our table, including children and non-members. We participate in communion through the method of intinction. As you come forward, you are asked to do so with your hands together and open to indicate you are willing to receive the grace given so freely to us by God. A piece of bread (the body) will be placed in your hands. You will then step to the cup (the blood) and dip the bread into the cup and consume. In the 8:00AM Chapel Service and 10:30AM Traditional Service, you can choose to take a single cup of juice instead of dipping the bread in the common cup. Our cup contains grape juice, not wine. The founder of Methodism, John Wesley, chose to use juice in an effort not to tempt anyone who may have an issue with alcohol. Our bread does not contain the top five allergens and is gluten-free.